By: Sarah Bautista LMFT
There are a lot of reasons sleep can evade us in our day to day. From being off routines, to what we eat, stress, our thoughts, anxiety, environment, etc.-a lot can come up. We know sleep is an important part of maintaining our physical, mental and emotional well-being. Getting quality sleep allows our body to recharge and restore itself which in turn generates better self-control, focus, emotional regulation, decision-making, endurance, etc.
So, if you’re looking to improve this in your life-check the 8 tips below for some ways to help get your sleep back in top shape:
- Wind Down: read a book, de-stress, journal, listening to soothing music, etc.
- Exercise: yoga, stretching, brisk-walks, aerobic workouts, deep breathing, etc.
- Routine: following a daily routine or creating a night-time routine
- Avoid Fatty Foods: fast food; hamburgers, fries, pizza, bacon, donuts, etc.
- Limit Electronics (phones, tv, tablets, etc.): all stimulate brain activity which makes it difficult to fall asleep/sounds and lights from these items can also impact quality sleep
- Avoid Stimulants: Caffeine, alcohol (coffee, soda, etc.)
- Comfortable Temperature: Getting too cold or too hot can disrupt sleep states so finding a temperature/clothing/bedding that works for you can help keep you in REM states more consistently.
- Adequate Darkness: wearing an eye mask, getting thicker curtains, keeping electronics out of sight, etc.
Hope these offer some helpful support for better sleep this week!